Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, April 9, 2011

First trip to the ER

And it better be our last!!! Last night was scary at the Erbele house. I need to rewind just a little bit to yesterday during nap time. I went into the boys' room to get them out of their beds and I saw Blake on top of the nightstand. Jack was halfway out of his crib trying to also get on the nightstand. Of course I had to take pictures. Ok, now to last night. During dinner Garrett and I discussed removing the nightstand from the boy's room since it was just a stepping stone for climbing. We then thought that if they were going to climb out we would rather them climb onto the nightstand then fall all the way from the top of their cribs. Not long after putting the boys down last night, I came and sat on the couch to read the mail. I heard a very loud thump and then a horrible scream. I ran into their room and Blake was on the floor. I picked him up and noticed blood, a TON of blood pouring out of Blake's mouth. I brought him into the kitchen and was yelling for Garrett to get in there. I was freaking out. Then I saw it. The big, black hole. Yes, his tooth was gone. I screamed and really started to freak out. Garrett had to take Blake because I was shaking and crying and not of sound mind. I ran back into the boys' room and saw the tooth laying on the ground. I scooped it up and Garrett put it back in Blake's mouth. Wonderful Kedra ran over, grabbed Jack and off we went to the ER. We got there around 8:20 and were in the car headed home at 10:30, so I can't complain too much. Sadly, the doctor told us that putting the tooth back in was the wrong thing to do (however it is the correct thing to do with a permanent tooth). It could have damaged the permanent tooth below it. AGH!!! So, what did she do? You guessed it. She pulled the tooth out. Blake was screaming and I was crying for the umpteenth time of the night. I am devastated that Blake will be missing his bottom, left-front tooth until his permanent tooth comes in. He is still as cute as ever but every time I see him my heart breaks. I know as time passes I won't even notice the black hole anymore but now is not that time. We are going to see a pediatric dentist this next week to have him checked out once again and an x-ray to check on his permanent tooth for any damage. Not that we could do anything now if there is damage, but I'm a planner and I would just like to know what the future holds. It didn't take long for Garrett and I to decide that the boys were not going back in their cribs as is. We were either going to invest in crib tents or go ahead and convert their cribs to toddler beds. We decided on the latter, but I am totally dreading it. I know that having both of them in the same room is going to make training them to stay in bed a million times harder. Last night, this is how they slept. Thank you Kedra for letting us borrow your pack-n-play. I felt sick to my stomach all night because of what happened to my baby. But, nothing made me feel sicker then when we got home and I looked at the nightstand where Blake clearly hit. Do you see that huge chunk that is missing? That is responsible for taking my baby's tooth!

Here is a picture of the tooth. I still can't wrap my brain around how this happened. How did he fall? How did the bottom tooth fall out and not the top? How did the whole tooth fall out? Why did this happen?????


To all you parents out there that are debating if it is time to move your kiddo to a toddler bed, just do it. The results of a fall just aren't worth it!

3 comments:

Becca n Joey said...

Bless your heart Kim! Presley was popped in the eye by our doberman last year before he passed. ;-( Her eye filled with blood and it just makes your heart hurt...I felt so responsible because I let him and Goose play around in the living room with her running around. It was the worst feeling. I pray for your little boy and your heart. I still think you are the best mom around ;-) And yes, we just moved Presley into her toddler bed for nap time today! She's clueless and has no idea...lol. Oh dear, I hope I don't have an airhead on my hands. lol. j/k

Mary said...

we love you blake!!

The doTERRA Darling said...

Ouch! Poor Blake. I hurt just thinking about it!